- Habla Espanol?
WHISTLEBLOWER PROTECTION - ELECTION OF REMEDIES
Section 20109 of the Federal Rail Safety Act has an “Election of Remedies” provision. This part of Section 20109 says: “An employee may not seek protection under both this section and another provision of law for the same allegedly unlawful act of the railroad carrier.”
If you filed a lawsuit under a state law alleging retaliatory discharge, then the Election of Remedies provision would prevent you from also filing a complaint with the
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury or wrongful death at work on the railroad, or been retaliated against at work for being a Whistleblower, call an experienced FELA personal injury lawyer / train accident lawyer at Hoey & Farina at 1-888-425-1212, or complete this form, for your FREE CONSULTATION. Hoey & Farina represents clients throughout the United States.
Straight Track Newletter
- Mayday May Day
- Veterans Day 2015 - A Different Perspective
- A Call For Veterans
- Veterans Day
- A Call For Veterans' Stories
- Labor Day Celebrates Railroad Workers
- National Train Day May 8, 2010
- Celebrate Railroading On The Fourth of July!
- Veterans Day 2003
- Lessons From Our Steel Driving Hero
- The Real Meaning Of Labor Day
- Labor Day
- They Rode The Rails In Style
RAILROAD LAW & NEWS
- Railroad Safety Regulations - Highest-Ever Penalty Collection Rate
- Railroaders' Rights - Protection Needed for Off-Duty Injuries / Illnesses
- FRA - Status of Positive Train Control Implementation
- An FELA Claim Is An Asset Of Bankruptcy Estate
- U.S. Court of Appeals Protects FRSA - Whistleblowers' Rights
- S.O.F.A. - Switching Fatality and Severe Injury Update
- Conductor Certification - Use It or Lose It
- U.S. Supreme Court Denies CSX Attempt To Change FELA
- New Restrictions on Crew Cell Phones Likely After Collision of BNSF Trains
- Trouble In Paradise
- Heat Order After Amtrak Derailment Slows Rail Service On CSX Tracks
- Illinois Adopts Strategy for Enforcing Crew-Van Safety Law
- Are Federal Appellate Judges Biased Against Plaintiffs?
- Big Win For Plaintiffs On Where Lawsuits Will Be Tried
- Empty Your Pockets
- Hoey & Farina Defeats Norfolk Southern & The Association Of American Railroads On Rail Safety Preemption Case
- FRA & Surface Transportation Board Join Forces With Hoey & Farina Against The NS & Association Of American Railroads
- Freight Railroads Hopeful for 2003, Passenger Rail Expects Upheaval
- U.S. Court Of Appeals Upholds Contractual Rights
- Railroad Punished For Destroying Evidence
- Injured Railroaders' Rights At Risk
- Inspector General Finds Lax FRA Enforcement
- Railroad Shoots Itself In The Caboose
- Lincoln Rides to the Rescue of Injured Railroaders
- Railroad Feud - "And the survey says..."
- Notice - Unsafe Conditions on Railroads
- Friending & Defending
- Railroaders' Rights - The Cell Phone Trap
- Protecting Your Job & Your FELA Claim While Using Facebook
- Metra Conductor Attacked On Hyde Park Station Platform
- Retaliatory Discharge & The FELA
- "If It's Not A Slip, Trip or Fall, What Is It?"
- Railroads & Riverboats
- Know Your Equipment
- Working The Job & Getting Sued
- Best Practices For Reducing Injuries
- Working For The Railroad Off The Property
- Railroad Logic
- Shining The Light On Safety Standards For Signalmen
- Getting On and Off Moving Railroad Equipment
- Retaliatory Discharge: A Court Strikes Back
- Don't Be A Fool With The Rule
- Failed Couplings Under The Federal Safety Appliance Act
- Tangled In The Net
- The 911 On Reporting a Railroad Injury
- Railroad Injury Claims & Tax Returns
- Reporting A Railroad Injury - Your Duty & Rights
- The Fear Factor II: Think Twice About Toughening It Out
- Prior Injuries, Prior Accidents and Prior Medical Conditions - What You Should Know
- Notice, Notice & More Notice!
- Part II: "I Didn't See Anything"
- Part I : "I Didn't See Anything"
- Creating The Paper Trail
- What Every Union Officer Should Know
- The Fear Factor
- A Paper Trail Is Everything for an Injured Railroader
- When In Doubt, Write It Out
- Preserving Evidence
- Is There A Right Way To Complete A Personal Injury Report?
- Heed The Warnings!
- Even A Champion Has To Practice, Practice, Practice
- Never Put Off Reporting a Railroad Work Injury
- Personal Injury Report: A Deadly Weapon In The Railroad's Arsenal
- Do You Copy?
- Completing The Personal Injury Report -- The Right Way
- Fear Factor III
- Back To The Basics: How To Complete An On-The-Job Injury Report
HIRE A FELA LAWYER
- Where In The World Is Jim Farina?
- Remembering a Life of Giving
- How Many Lawyers Does It Take To...
- More Than Just Words: You May Not Need A Lawyer, But You Do Need Legal Advice
- Hoey & Farina: Representing All Seriously Injured Individuals & Their Families
- Jury Returns $1,818,000 Verdict for Cumulative Trauma Injury
- 2012 Trial Lawyer Excellence Award Recipients
- Jury Trashes Metra's Defenses - Coach Cleaner Awarded $1.27 Million
- Hoey & Farina ‘Lights Up' The Belt - Verdict for Railroad Switchman in Locomotive Inspection Act Case
- Appellate Decision Upholds Engineer's "In Use" Argument in Balough v. Metra
- At The Heart Of A Railroad Family
- White Snow vs. Black Ice
- Record Verdict For Western Michigan - $7,263,000 For Injured Trackmen
- Jury Returns $33 Million Record Verdict In Illinois For Injured Railroader
- Verdict For Railroad Worker With Neck Injuries Caused By Defective Handrail
- Jury Returns $3.4 Million Verdict In West Virginia For Injured Conductor
- Big Supreme Court Victory For Railroaders - Part II
- Big Supreme Court Victory For Railroaders - Part I
- Structured Settlements: A Way To Secure Your Future
- Farina Beats BNSF on "Sole Cause" Defense
- Victory At Last: Tyrrell vs. NS Railway
- After Wild Ride, Hoey & Farina Helps To Snare Victory For Kentucky Railroader
- At Hoey & Farina, Size Doesn't Matter
- McLaughlin vs. CSXT - Offer: 0, Verdict: $2,331,000.00
- Record Illinois Verdict For Injured Railroad Employee
- Jury's "Not Guilty" Verdict Overturned By Federal Trial Judge
- Engineer Awarded $1,390,000.00 For Spinal Injuries Resulting From Locomotive Vibration
- BNSF Offers Low Settlement To Section Laborer, Hoey & Farina Litigates To Verdict In Iowa
- Important Verdict for Maintenance of Way Worker Affirmed by Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Railroad Loses To Hoey & Farina On Appeal
- Major Verdict for Injured Railroad Employee After 27 Day Trial
- Verdict For Metra Electric Engineer "Trapped-Doored"
- Railroad, Military & Department of Veterans Affairs
- Hurt, Broke and Fired!
- Off-Track Vehicle Accident Benefits
- Disability Benefits: What Every Railroader Should Know
- Seniority Upheld Against Disability Rights
- Important Railroad Retirement Board Update
- Suddenly, Switching Career Tracks Doesn't Look So Unlikely
- RRB & Taxes
- How Railroaders Can Weather The Storm
- Railroad Injury Facts
- What Is The FELA?
- Test Your FELA Knowledge
- FELA 101
- Use 'Em Up & Spit 'Em Out: Negligent Assignment & The FELA
- Workplace Privacy & Personnel Records
- Bankruptcy and The FELA
- Clearing The Air On Railroader's Duty To Mitigate
- FELA Under Attack
- Section 60 of the FELA - Part II
- Section 60 of the FELA - Part I
- Crime Rarely Pays: The FELA & Criminal Acts Against Railroad Workers
- Railroader Discovers The "Discovery Rule" - The Hard Way
- Understanding The FELA
- Bankruptcy & The FELA, Part II
- The "Venue" Menu: What It Means For Injured Railroaders
- Your Railroad Work Injury
FOR YOUR FAMILY
- Prepare For Life's Unexpected Changes
- A Durable What ?!?!?!
- Hoey & Farina's Family Members Seminar & The People Who Are A Part Of Them
- Family's Prompt Action Secures Important Settlement For Injured Trainman
- If Tomorrow Never Comes
- What Do I Tell My Family? Part II
- A New Year's Resolution
- What Do I Tell My Family? Part I
- Expect The Unexpected
ABOUT STRAIGHT TRACK
- Prevent Health Insurance Coverage Problems
- Claim Agents' 3 Favorite Lies
- Winning The Railroad Lottery
- The Case Against Light Duty
- Is This The Same Railroad I Have Been Working For?
- Railroaded - A Fair Deal From The Claim Agent
- What's The Claim Agent's Job?
- "Must I Give A Statement To The Railroad About My Injury?"
- Railroad Offers Free Legal Advice To Injured Employees
- From One Railroader To Another: When Is It Advantageous To Deal With A Claim Agent?
- Deal or No Deal: The Railroad's Game
- Top Ten Lies From Railroad Claim Agents
- Like Fine Wine, Settle No Claim Before Its Time
- "Don't Worry" - Words of Comfort or Deception?
- In Your Best Interest
- Third Time's The Charm
- For A Limited Time Only
- So They Claim … Why Dealing With The Railroad Isn’t In Your Best Interest
- The Weather Outside is Frightful...
- Don't Let Your Claim Slip Away
- Prepare for the Winter Months
- 'Tis The Season To Be Careful
- Summer Time! Staying Healthy At Work on The Railroad
- Ice & Snow - Don't Let Your Claim Slip Away
- Railroad's Duty to Provide Safe Workplace During Summer
- The Bugs Are Back In Town
- The Effects of Walking on Ballast
- Reader's Response - Emotional Effects Of Collisions
- Emotional Effects of Collisions on Train Crew
- Metra Continues To Test Due To Diesel Fumes Threat
- Metra's And Diesel Fumes Threat To Workers And Commuters
- Diesel Fumes Threat To Railroad Workers And Commuters
- Checklist for Traumatic Brain Injury
- Oh My Aching Wrist! Carpal Tunnel Syndrome & The FELA
- Why Does It Still Hurt?
- The Creosote Threat To Railroaders
- New Study Reveals Risks from Harmful Vibrations For Engineers
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Not A Simple Diagnosis
- A Traumatic Experience Can Have Long Lasting Effects On Your Mental Health (PTSD)
- The Diesel Exhaust Threat
- Good, Good, Good...Good Vibrations?
- Recovering From Emotional Stress (PTSD)
- Aggravating A Pre-Existing Condition
- Asbestos: Railroads' Quiet Killer
- Understanding Back Pain: Getting It Evaluated & Treated
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Everybody Hurts, Sometimes
- Are You Aware?
- New FRA Rules On Locomotive Cab Noise
- Prior Medical Conditions
MEDICAL CARE / BILLS
- The Railroad In The Exam Room
- A Premium Smokescreen
- After I'm Hurt at Work, Why Should I Do Vocational Rehabilitation?
- Protecting Your Rights At The ER
- The ADA & Seniority Rights
- Post-Accident Drug & Alcohol Testing
- Medical Examinations & Occupational Disability
- When You Snooze -- You Lose (Your Rights Concerning Medical Care)
- Why Do Re-Hab Nurses Wear Fish Net Stockings?
- Who's Really Paying Your Medical Bills?
- Your Doctor Must Be Your Best Friend
- Company Doctor - Medical Witness
- Company-Ordered Medical Examinations
- Talking To Your Doctor
- No Costume Needed: A Scary Story for Halloween
- The Defense Medical Exam
- Victory For Railroaders' Medical Confidentiality
- The Railroad As Big Brother
- On A Need To Know Basis: Medical Bill Payments & The Injured Railroad Employee
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
- Your Right & Responsibility To Help!
- Honoring The Father, The Man & The Job
- Debs Was First Rail Trade Unionist To Champion Unity
- Your Right To Choose & Recommend Designated Legal Counsel Fought For By Your Union - Part II
- Your Right To Choose & Recommend Designated Legal Counsel Fought For By Your Union - Part I
- A Protected Right & Responsibility To Help!
- More Candid Talk About Video Surveillance
- Smile! You’re On Candid Camera: Video Surveillance Admissibility
- If Injured Be Aware: Surveillance Videos Can Destroy Your Case
- Under Surveillance? Don't Get Discredited!
MOTOR VEHICLES / CABS
- What Happens If The Railroad's Outside Contractor Creams Me?
- Understanding The Railroad's Use Of Taxi Cab Companies
- "Does The FELA Apply If I Am Injured Riding In A Motor Vehicle While I Am On The Job?"
- Don't Be Taken For A Ride
- Part I - Congress Stands Up For Railroad Whistleblowers
- Part II - Basic Questions And Answers About Whistleblower Protection Laws
- Part III - Protection for Refusing to Violate Safety Laws
- Part IV - Procedures & Remedies For Protecting Your Whistleblower Rights
- Part V - Supreme Court Decision May Extend Reach of Anti-Retaliation Law
- Part VI - Procedures for Filing Whistleblower Retaliation Claim
- Part VII - OSHA Investigation of Claim
- Part VIII - Sample OSHA Complaint
- Part IX - New Federal Law Protects Local Remedies
- Part X - Government Report Slams Railroad Misconduct
- Part XI - Sorting Out "Election of Remedies"
- Part XII - Court Clarifies Requirements For Proving A Retaliation Claim
- Part XIII - Railroad Leaves "Fingerprints" of Retaliation by "Hounding" Employee